For gambling enthusiasts, Blackjack is a popular online pastime. The best online casinos offer a huge selection of different types of this game. This card entertainment is known for a very long time: the first mentions can be found in books of the 16th century. Russian-speaking players Blackjack is better known under the name "21" or "Score". The counting rules are slightly different, but the mechanics are the same.
How does Blackjack work? Winning depends on being able to remember your cards and making the right decisions. You also need to know the rules of the game and how the cards are counted. If you use your knowledge competently and get the right experience, the casino will lose regularly. This is the kind of opportunity that attracts Blackjack players online.
Types of Blackjack
There are several basic types of games that can be found on online casino sites. The most popular are American and European Blackjack. How do they differ?
In the American style, the dealer takes one card for himself and gives the other two cards to each player. Then he takes another card and shows it to the players. In the European style of Blackjack, the dealer takes only one card and shows it to the players immediately. In general, all styles of play differ only in the rules for the dealer and the player.
What are the most popular styles of Blackjack?
- Blackjack Switch. According to the rules, the player receives two pairs of cards, and he can change cards between pairs. A player's victory is counted when the dealer gets 2 points. The win is counted on a 1:1 ratio.
- Vegas Strip Blackjack. Playing with 4 decks of cards. It is possible to split two aces once, it is also allowed to double the bet on any two cards. If the divided cards were aces, the player loses the possibility of insurance. 21 points after the split is not considered blackjack, but the player can get an additional card.
- Perfect couples. Blackjack is played by standard rules. Additional bets are possible. Winning the game - only if the first two cards were a pair (for example, two tens).
- Double attack. In this style, the dealer receives two cards at once and shows them to the players. This gives a definite advantage. In this case, the casino only wins if the player gets blackjack.
These are the basic styles of Blackjack games. Many online casino sites offer other types as well, their rules need to be studied before you start playing.
How do I play Blackjack?
The dealer deals cards to himself and the players. The cards differ in "value": each of them brings some number of points. Depending on the combination, the player and the dealer get a sum of points, which should be more than the opponent, but less than 21.
Rules of the game
- If the dealer has an Ace and a 10-point card at the beginning of the game, the player loses. If the player also has a Blackjack, the round ends in a draw. In case of a draw the player can get his bet back.
- If the dealer has an ace after the deal, the player can insure blackjack from the casino. If the player wins with insurance, the player's winnings are counted through a 3:2 ratio, but the player loses his bet. Insurance is rarely used as it is more profitable for the casino.
- If a player receives a pair (two cards with the same value), he can split them and double the bet. The number of available splits depends on the chosen style of play.
- If a player gets a combination of cards with a total value of 9, 10 or 11 points, he can double the initial bet. But further the player can get only one additional card.
- The player may surrender at any time, but will lose half of his bet. Playing the basic strategy, it's advantageous to do so if you've scored 16 points and the dealer has an ace or a card for 9 or 10 points.
The biggest winnings can be had in Blackjack Online tournaments. Usually you have to survive as many rounds as possible to win. To win, be sure to estimate your pot, the accounts of other players and correctly determine the size of the bet.
How to Count Cards in Blackjack
The value of the cards determines the amount of points a player receives. How are cards counted in Blackjack?
- Jack, Queen, King - 10 points.
- Ace - 1 or 11 points at the player's choice.
- Cards from 2 to 10 bring points at their face value of 2 to 10 respectively.
The combination of an Ace and any card over 10 points (ten, jack, queen or king) is called Blackjack and is a winning hand. In some game types this combination can lead to a loss (e.g. Vegas Strip Blackjack).
Strategies for profitable gaming
Many players prefer to learn and different strategies for playing Blackjack. They help to bet more efficiently and get better results in the game. Strategies can be basic (such as algorithms on the game) or advanced (card counting or shuffle tracking). We will look at basic Blackjack strategies and tips on advanced play patterns.
Blackjack basic strategy
The basic strategy is best suited for playing American blackjack with 4, 6 or more decks. In this case, the dealer can play up to 17 points and double up only after the cards are split. What do you need to know?
- If you score between 12 and 16 points, you may pull another card. But only if you've previously beaten a dealer's card (7 or higher). There is an exception to this. With a score of 12 points, you can draw an extra card against a deuce or three from the dealer.
- The worst case scenario for a dealer at the start is a five or a six. They increase the chance of an overcall. You can double the bet to 18. According to basic Blackjack strategy, 18 points is quite a lot. Pulling another card at this point is dangerous.
- You have to divide pairs carefully. You can only split a pair of nines if the dealer has a seven, nine or ace. In European blackjack, you can draw another card, but only against the dealer's ten or ace.
- Can you fold? You should do so if you score 16 against a nine, ten, or ace in the casino. If you score 15 points, you should only give up against a dealer's ten.
- It is recommended to double the bet when the sum of points is 10 or 11. Do not double if you are playing against an ace or a ten. When you reach 9 points, you can double if you're not playing against a three, four, five and six from the dealer.
How do I read cards in Blackjack? This is a complex strategy that requires attention and caution. The basic principle is: "If there are more "high" cards than "low" cards in the deck, then the player's chance of winning increases significantly.
In this case, you can get an advantage over the dealer for quite a long time. But if there are more "junior" cards in the deck, the dealer will have the advantage. How does this strategy work? If you're ready to count cards in Blackjack, there are three rules to remember:
- +1 to the cost of cards from "two" to "six".
- -1 to the value of tens, high cards or aces.
- 0 to the cost of cards from "seven" to "nine".
As a result, the higher the sum of the total value of cards, the higher the bet should be. The total is always divided by a multiple of the remaining decks. For example, if there are 4 decks left during the game, you should divide the total sum by 4. The resulting total will indicate a possible loss or your advantage. If there are fewer and fewer decks left, and the "true number" does not change after division, the advantage goes to your side.
Best online casinos to play Blackjack
You can find different types of Blackjack at the best online casinos. Which one should you choose from? The answer is simple: look for a licensed casino. And choose the type of game that makes the most sense to you. You can also pay attention to live Blackjack - these are games against a live dealer or other players. This brings more emotion from every win.
Want to try playing Blackjack online and for free? Check out the demo mode and try your hand at it. This will help you to bet effectively for money in the future game.